Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Glass Castle

{"I don't care what happened!" he yelled.

"But we were just protecting ourselves," I said.

"Brian's a man, he can take it," he said. "I don't want to hear another word of this. Do you hear me?" He was shaking his head, but wildly, almost as as if he thought he could keep out the sound of my voice. He wouldn't even look at me. (Walls, pg. 148)}

As I read this passage of the book, I came to realize that some of Jeanette's experiences with her parents are very similar to my own. Countless times in my life, I have been unjustly blamed for something I did not do. As well, in the past, I have made an effort to explain my side of the story in a situation where I seem to be the one at fault, but my truth is always thrown to the wayside. My father, for instance, does not like to be proven wrong. Similar to the way in that Rex 'doesn't want to hear about it', I have been told to "stop", or "that's enough". If I turn out to be in 'the right' in a situation, I would like to have the justification that people realize that I am telling the truth.

Jeannette felt this same way numerous times in the book. Her father, Rex, is a very stubborn individual who needs to learn to admit that sometimes he can be wrong. It is not always true what he says, especially if it involves alcohol. The situation is not always about who is right or wrong, but who is willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment